Subject: Re: SS 1+: 4M SIMMs OK?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/09/1998 09:30:28
[ Tried to mail this just to der Mouse, but his sendmail's too goddamned anal:

Connected to Twig.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 453 Your host (128.149.177.254) seems to have no reverse DNS.
554 <mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca>... Remote protocol error

Whatever happened to "Be liberal in what you accept"?  Blah.]

> I've got a SPARCstation 1+ at home.  Currently it's got 16 megs of RAM,
> in the form of 16 one-meg SIMMs.
>
> Under what circumstances can such a machine take 4-meg SIMMs?  I seem
> to recall seeing it said that it could be done, but don't recall ever
> seeing the restrictions delineated.

The SPARCstation 1 clone I'm typing this on (made by TriGem; Korean) has
4 Mb SIMMs.  It's a hybrid of an IPC-like motherboard in a 1 form-factor.
In other words, it's only got 12 memory SIMM slots (i.e. like an IPC/IPX).
I've got 4 4 Mb SIMMs and 8 1 Mb SIMMs in it for a grand total of 24 Mb.

	- Greg