Subject: syslogd oddities
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Brown <dbrown@ccdc.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/09/1998 11:44:18
Folks,

I've been busily setting up a NetBSD 1.3.2/sparc box as a syslogging host, and
have had a fair amount of success in doing so.

However, I've noticed that on random, infrequent occasions, syslogd just stops
logging messages delivered via udp from other (Solaris) hosts, but keeps
on logging messages generated locally (presumably via /dev/*log).

You can watch the packets arriving via tcpdump, but no logging occurs.
Restarting syslogd restores normal behaviour.

I was wondering if this was a known problem, and if so, wherein lies the cure?

Dan.

P.S. I'm running with a faintly modified syslogd, that always logs time
stamps, and a slightly modified newsyslog, that allows execution of log
digesting scripts on logs in the process of being rotated. However -
none of this should affect the receiving/logging of messages...

root@sun3[/usr/src/usr.sbin/syslogd]# uname -a
NetBSD sun3 1.3.2 NetBSD 1.3.2 (GENERIC_SCSI3) #0: Sun May 10 23:24:39 MEST 1998     pk@flambard:/usr/src1/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC_SCSI3 sparc