Subject: Re: sparc/sparc64
To: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@t.dk>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/07/1998 08:40:01
On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Soren S. Jorvang wrote:

> what are the plans (if any) for integrating the common parts of the sparc
> and sparc64? I liked the solution for sun3/sun3x, but of course there
> are more differences in the sparc/sparc64 ports.
>
> sparc64/sparc64 -> sparc/sparc64 ?
> sparc*/dev -> dev/sbus + ?

The consensus seems to be that creating a sys/dev/sbus would be a good
thing.

I don't think we'll do much more because:

	The PROM interfaces are different

	The supported buses are different (with a bit of overlap)
		(VME+SBUS+OBIO+MBUS vs UPA+SBUS+FHC+PCI)

	The trap models are completely different

	The architectures are really different (32-bit vs 64-bit)

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@one-o.com
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me