Subject: RE: Booting minniroot off a IPX floppy.
To: Abraham J. Stephens <stephea@aasis.albany-academy.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/01/1998 07:43:26
On 30-Jun-98 Abraham J. Stephens spoke unto us all:
#  Hi I have been using FreeBSD for about a year, recently an old IPX was
#  donated to my group.  I would like to use it as a web server and perhaps
#  as a file server.  I have run into one major problem when attempting to
#  install, after dd'ing the miniroot image using the FreeBSD machine, I
#  reboot the sparc by entering a <stop>+<a> then typing 'boot floppy' at the
#  prompt.  The machine reboots and attempts to boot off the fd device but it
#  dumps me back to the 'ok' prompt after displaying a memory error.
#
#  What am I doing wrong?

Did you dd the miniroot to a floppy?  If so, that would be your problem.  The
miniroot is designed to be placed directly on the hard drive of the sparc.
There is a boot floppy available for the sparc port however, check the recent
archives for details on where to get it.

---
Tim Rightnour    -  root@garbled.net
http://www.zynetwc.com/~garbled/garbled.html