Subject: Re: NetBSD newbie, network install?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Volker Schmidt <volker@Illuminatus.MZ.Rhein-Main.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/24/1998 17:22:08
In article <199806240947.KAA17372@hotpoint.dcs.qmw.ac.uk>,
Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk> wrote:
: Rik van Mierlo said:
:>I have a SS1, currently running RedHat 4.2, but I want to switch to
:>NetBSD.

Good choice. :>

:>Is there a way to install it from a Linux-server?

Yep. It works for me. I do it regulary.

:>tftpboot is working, but after that it times out on the WHOAMI REQUEST.
:>I couldn't find bootp for linux, and the documentation on DHCP isn't all
:>that clear to me.

You should look for arp/rarpd in your linux distribution. Also
bootparamd is needed (NetKit-0.10 has one).

Copy your netbsd.boot block for netbooting to your tftp area;
make a softlink to the hex-coded IP number of your sparc. (eg.
C0A86283.SUN4C for 192.168.98.132 on a SUN4C (your SS1)).

Set up a file named /etc/bootparams with:

--- cut - here ----
<your nfs-client> root=<your nfs-server>:/export \
        swap=<your nfs-server>:/export/swap
--- cut - here ----

Make /export exportable via /etc/exports (eg. with: /export
*.at.home.nil(rw,no_root_squash,insecure))

Follow diskless(8) for setting up a swap space inside /exports.
You have been told how to get a copy of it...

Setup arp with:

/sbin/arp -s <Your-IP-address-for the SS1> 00:80:xx:xx:xx:xx

set up rarp (maybe you have to compile and build a fresh kernel
for it) with:

/sbin/rarp -s <Your-IP-address-for the SS1> 00:80:xx:xx:xx:xx

Check all permissions of the files downloaded to the SS1.

Restart mountd & bootparamd.

Open a new session (virtual console, Xterm, whatever), start
tcpdump to watch the packets go in an out.

Finally: Take cover and issue a "boot net" command on the SS1.

If it doesn't work: Debug it. I cited this from the darkness of
my brain after a busy day...

Enjoy,
--volker
--
PGP key: <mailto:pgp-public-keys@keys.de.pgp.net> Subject: GET 0x8F679A35

"Unix --- Du denkst, es laeuft und es laeuft besser, als Du gedacht hast."
Stefan Stapelberg <stefan@rent-a-guru.de> in de.comp.os.unix