Subject: Having prom command problems
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/1998 17:41:50
I'm in the process of

1) upgrading from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2

2) switching hard drives

in my SS1.  My though was to not touch the old drive, but simply do a
clean install on the new drive.  So far I have:

sd0  == old drive that I'm booted from, scsi ID 3
sd1  == new drive, scsi ID4

cowboy-burt# disklabel -e sd1   # to install disklabel on the new drive
cowboy-burt# newfs /dev/rsd1a   # 20MB /
cowboy-burt# newfs /dev/rsd1d   # ~1G /usr

there is 64MB of swap on sd1b

Then I got miniroot-132.gz

cowboy-burt# gunzip miniroot-132.gz
cowboy-burt# dd if=miniroot-132 of=/dev/rsd1b bs=20b conv=sync
cowboy-burt# dd if=miniroot-132 of=/dev/rsd1b bs=20b conv=sync
614+1 records in
615+0 records out
6297600 bytes transferred in 11 secs (572509 bytes/sec)
cowboy-burt# halt

then from the OK prompt, I can seem to figure out the right thing to type
to boot off of the miniroot!  I guess I just don't really understand the
prom boot command.  I've tried various things like:

boot sd(1,,1)netbsd -s
boot sd(4,,1)netbsd -s

but I always get a message like
"The file just loaded does not appear to be executible"

Any idea's?

Thanks

Dan