Subject: Re: new to sparcs
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/1998 11:29:30
On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Greg Earle wrote:

> > Well i just bought my first sparc!
> > an ss1+ with 32mb ram and a 1.2 gig hd.
>
> Doh!  You should've spent a little more and gotten an SS2 ... then when you'd
> saved up some more money you could get a Weitek chip and gotten a nice little
> machine out of it ...

I agree, the SS2 would have been a better machine...

> > does an ss1+ have a built in frame buffer or would i have to buy one of those
> > as well?
>
> Sorry, no built-in frame buffer; those are the IPC's and IPX's and LX's.

Something to remember when you're planning for all this expansion, the
third sbus slot on a 1+ is slave only which I believe is only useful for
those dual wide cg6 framebuffers.

> > 1. what are the chances of getting an ss1+ on a 100baseTX network?  do i need
> > an SBus card?  any idea on how much this would cost me?
>
> I don't believe the 1's and 1+'s will support a SunSWIFT (Fast Ethernet) card,
> sorry.  (Should have bought that SS2 ... )

The SS2 doesn't officially support the sunswift or colossus either.
It may work, but I've never seen it.

Jon