Subject: Re: new to sparcs
To: None <nickm@mindless.com>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/17/1998 06:32:39
> Well i just bought my first sparc!
> an ss1+ with 32mb ram and a 1.2 gig hd.

Doh!  You should've spent a little more and gotten an SS2 ... then when you'd
saved up some more money you could get a Weitek chip and gotten a nice little
machine out of it ...

> does an ss1+ have a built in frame buffer or would i have to buy one of those
> as well?

Sorry, no built-in frame buffer; those are the IPC's and IPX's and LX's.

> 1. what are the chances of getting an ss1+ on a 100baseTX network?  do i need
> an SBus card?  any idea on how much this would cost me?

I don't believe the 1's and 1+'s will support a SunSWIFT (Fast Ethernet) card,
sorry.  (Should have bought that SS2 ... )

> 2. what about having an ss1 as a gateway box with ipf and ipnat.  it has one
> 10 mbit connection but can i add another?  via an SBus slot?  how much would
> another 10 mbit adapter cost me?

You can probably put an FSBE/S buffered Ethernet/SCSI card in it.  Price - ???

> 3. any stability problems with netbsd on ss1+'s?

> 4. i assume that it has a fast narrow scsi-2 adapter with it.

Nope, Slow internal SCSI.  (Matt Jacob is the Swami of SCSI here on
port-sparc)

> What about using external SCSI disks?  Any way to use a Wide or Ultra disk
> with an SS1?

Stability of using a Wide or UltraWide SBus SCSI controller is questionable
with the 1/1+.   (Again, should have gotten that SS2 ... )  There's also the
question of NetBSD drivers ... (hey Matt, whatever happened to that QLGC
driver?  (-: )

> 5. anything that doesnt work that i should know about?  does X work?  etc...

I'm sure X works, but you need that console head  :-)

> any good info sources on where i can get details about the hardware on ss1's?
> the bus type, add on adapters, scsi adapter info, ethernet adapter info, etc.

http://www.sunhelp.com/ or http://www.net-kitchen.com/ are good places to
start.  Or grab the files that make up the "Sun Hardware FAQ" from

	ftp://ftp.picarefy.com/pub/Sun-Hardware-Ref/OLD/working/

(The info there is over a year old, but mostly still relevant.)

	- Greg