Subject: sun4c/vmebus, take two
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/05/1998 00:45:48
So, if anyone happens to remember, I was that wacko who had a Sparc
2 with a VMEbus (a FORCE embedded SPARC board, actually).  I asked
about getting the VMEbus working on it, and wiser heads than I
said, "Well, geez, that's pretty weird ... you'll need to get the
FORCE documentation".

So, I finally got the FORCE documentation, and as far as I can
tell, it seems to contain what I need ..... but perhaps I don't
quite understand the issues involved.

When I last brought this up, someone (forgive me, I don't remember
exactly who) said that the main issue was dealing with 16/32 bit
memory access.  The sun4 class machines had extra bits in the PTE
to signify which kind of memory space it was (which I found in the
documentation for the FORCE 1C board, which is _not_ the board I
have), and the sun4m machines have extra instructions, and the
sun4c machines have nothing ... which is the problem.

Now, after reading the FORCE 2CE manual, it seems that it has
exactly nothing for dealing with data size issues on the VMEbus.
As I read this documentation, if you want a 16-bit access, you
write using a 16-bit instruction, and the same for 32-bit access.
Does this make sense?  I'll confess being mostly ignorant to the
details of VME.  If there _is_ other issues, then could someone
please explain them to me and I'll try R'ing the FM.

--Ken