Subject: Re: Chicken and Egg (was: X11)
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/02/1998 23:41:52
>Thats kind of a "well the fox made the egg" solution.  Imagine bob buys a brand
>new machine.  His first, builds it from parts, and tries to install.  It is,
>like I said, somewhat obscure.  I really think for this reason we should
>provide rz/kermit bins on ftp.netbsd.org, or a pppd kernel (a bit far fetched).

Actually, my very first home NetBSD install was done using the SLIP support
in (I think) the 1.1 boot disk.  Okay, it _was_ painful, and probably the
fact that I was the person who administrated the dialup system at the time
was the only thing that made that possible ... but I _did_ do it, so
it's not impossible .... just not exactly user-friendly :-/

>I am truly grateful that we are shipping CD's soon.. I intend to buy one if
>nothing else, to help out netbsd.  It will also make a great "loan out".

Amen to that.

--Ken