Subject: Magma device driver available
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@openbsd.org>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/20/1998 20:55:28
    Announcing a device driver for Magma Serial/Parallel SBus cards
           by Iain Hibbert, 1998 <plunky@altavista.net>

I have finally come to a stage of writing the device driver for Magma Sp SBus
cards where it has been committed to the source tree.  The following cards
are supported at the moment;

    Magma 4 Sp, Magma 8 Sp, Magma 12 Sp, Magma 16 Sp,
    Magma LC 2+1 Sp, Magma 2+1 Sp, Magma 4+1 Sp, Magma 8+2 Sp
    plus a couple of variations on the 8 and 16 serial port cards
    that I'm not sure what they are (see the source code)

Serial capability is good, the ports will run to 115kbaud with full automatic
hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS) and it should not be too difficult to add automatic
(XON/XOFF) handshaking.

Of the cards with parallel ports, only the LC2+1Sp parallel part will work - the
other cards use a CD1190 chip which needs to be written for.  When that is done,
the Magma P1 and Magma P2 cards should also work..  I have been printing using
the port on my LC2+1Sp card, but it is supposed to be bi-directional so more work
is required which I'm not sure if I can do - I have no way to test it in any case
as I don't have another bi-directional parallel port to run it against.

DMA and Synchronous cards are not projected to work in the future as they use
different chips again (cd2400 and another one for DMA).  I believe somebody is
working (intermittently) on a driver for the CD1190 chips, it may be that that
can be merged with this driver when ready.

Thanks go to:
	Bruce @ Magma
	Theo DeRaadt
	Paul Kranenburg
	Neil MacRae

who all provided invaluable assistance and encouragement during the writing of the
driver which was started under NetBSD 1.2 and finished on OpenBSD 2.2.