Subject: Re: SLC freeze?
To: None <gelbard@engr.orst.edu>
From: George Coulouris <glc5@cornell.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/13/1998 03:46:28
> > When I first power on the machine, I get something along the lines of:
> >
> > 3e0 bad 3e0 bad 3e0 bad
> >
> > while it's testing the cache. Then it goes ahead an enables the cache
> > anyway, and then starts to boot.
> >
> > Is the cache what's causing the lockup? If so, can I either disable it
> > or replace it?
>
> I believe the cache is sodered on the mainboard. I seem to remember a Sparc
> 1 uttering the same message when its battery-backed RAM that holds the
> MAC/machine ID/et al dies.
>
>         Nate

Well, I've had no problems with the mac or serial number.. I think the
cache is legitimately fried. If I run the cache selftest, I get the same
message I get at startup. I rebooted in diagnostic mode, it looks like
the tag area checks out but the data area is cooked...

Is there a way to disable the cache? The sun hardware faq says that the
SLC motherboard has no jumpers... is there a monitor flag or some
register I can poke that will turn off the cache?

--
George L. Coulouris - http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~glc5/
NetBSD 1.3 - free, multiplatform unix. http://www.netbsd.org/