Subject: Serial port, PPP, and IP-NAT
To: 'port-sparc@NetBSD.org' <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ruschmeyer, John <jruschme@att.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/05/1998 10:07:08
Thanks all for clearing up my previous question on endian issues (though
I'm still hoping for a Twin port to show up in my mailbox :-).

On to a more serious issue...

I've set up my Sparc 2 (36MB, NetBSD/Sparc 1.3) with PPPD and IP-NAT to
handle simultaneous Internet access for my wife's and my own Win95
boxes. On the surface, it appears to be working well, though my wife
complains that the 33.6 modem on the Sparc is actually giving her worse
performance (particularly on AOL) than with a PPP connection from her
own 14.4 modem.

I'm trying to see if this is really the case and have stumbled on a few
questions:

1) What is the current state of serial port support in NetBSD/Sparc 1.3?
I know there were severe problems for a while, but I thought they had
been resolved. Would I be better running 1.3-CURRENT?

1a) Above 38400, what are the legal baud rates for a Sparc serial port?
What is reasonable to run on a Sparc 2?

2) Are there any kernel parameters that should be tweaked to improve PPP
and/or IP-NAT performance? (I'm currently running a largely GENERIC
kernel.)

3) Am I asking too much of the old girl? Would I be better off devoting
an x86 to this task?

4) Any other suggestions or possible tests I can run?

Thanks in advance...
<<<John>>>