Subject: Re: Sun OpenProm docs?
To: Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk>
From: Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/04/1998 01:09:48
On 04-Mar-98 Peter Maydell wrote:
> Nathan Gelbard wrote:
>>I've been playing with Forth a little in the Sun OpenProm shell on my
>>ELC, and was wondering if there was a way to get the source code
>>to the OpenProm?
>>
>>I'd like to find out how some of the functions work, and how to turn
>>my screen on even though I have no keyboard :)
>
> Hoping for source is a bit optimistic. For documentation, you could
> start with http://playground.sun.com/1275/home.html

Thank you much!

Now, I just realized I can setenv output-device screen even though
I have no console keyboard, and use ttya as input. This is really cool --
Until the kernel boots and says

cninit: mismatched PROM output selector
console is ttya

Is there a way to hack to kernel to leave the previous settings alone?
Until I get a keyboard, I'd like my output on the screen, and my input
on my kermit box (NetBSD/i386 1.3). Oh, I installed the console
speed hack (forth) someone mentioned a long time ago, and it works
awsome! I've never seen a sun text console scroll so fast! ha!

BTW, the Sun is a SPARC ELC w/ 4mb RAM (soon soon soon to be 16mb), netbooting
NetBSD 1.3.

        Thanx,
                nate