Subject: Re: installing on 4/280 & SMD disk
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Maydell <pm215@cam.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/23/1998 13:55:50
"Michael C. Richardson" wrote:
>    Peter> As I understand it you're supposed to dd the miniroot into
>    Peter> partition b (swap). So I defined some plausible looking partitions
>    Peter> (a = root, b = swap, g = /usr, c = whole disk) for xd1 and dd'd
>    Peter> the miniroot into /dev/xd1b. If you then reboot and tell the PROM
>    Peter> to boot xd(0,1,1) it successfully loads the kernel. However, the
>    Peter> kernel then decides that its root fs should be on /dev/xd1a and
>
>  What happens if you add -as ?  That sounds like a bug to me!
>  You don't mention which version you are trying to install.

NetBSD-1.3, and I did mention it :-> -as works, though. [although the
prompts are somewhat cryptic...]

Anyway, I now have a working NetBSD system, although I'm getting the
'ie0: DMA underrun' messages mentioned by somebody else who had a 4/260
and SMD disks. When the interface is initially configured it also produces
the warning 'ie0: TDR detected a short 0 clocks away'...

Now all I need to do is install bash and I shall be happy :->
[Is there anybody who does NetBSD distributions which give you finer
control over what you have installed?]

Peter Maydell