Subject: Re: Booting miniroot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/16/1998 16:49:43
> The old PROM's have odd syntax.  The syntax is :
> 	b type(controller, device, partition)
[...]
> 	device is the (hex) value of the SCSI ID multiplied by 8
> 	(e.g. id 1 = 8, id 2 = 10).

I don't think it's quite that simple; I believe the second number is
the (hex) value of (8*ID)+LUN, not just 8*ID.  (As a practical matter,
it matters little, since practically nobody uses LUNs other than zero
nowadays (and indeed some devices seem to completely ignore the LUN
value).  But the multiplication by 8 is more understandable when you
realize it's not pure capriciousness - those low three bits really do
mean something.)

Certainly this is how it was documented for the Sun-3s, where I first
saw this "odd syntax".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca