Subject: Re: GCC problems in 1.3
To: Nate Bohlmann <njb@elfwerks.com>
From: Krister Walfridsson <cato@df.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/1998 22:45:40
>   I was attempting to compile a PGP-aware version of Elm yesterday
> and kept getting errors from the assembler saying invalid operand.

What does the assembler code look like? Our gas is really old, and
it may be a bug in it. I have ported the latest gas to NetBSD, but
I need to test it more before someone can put it into -current.

> This indicates a code generation problem and I tried adjusting the
> optimization and debugging levels to no avail.  So, thinking a new
> compiler would be good, I pulled down GCC 2.8.0 and attempted to

IMHO you should stay away from GCC 2.8.0 and use egcs-1.0.1 instead...

> compile it.  No dice here either.  This time the assembler fails
> complaining about a couple symbols not being in the same frag.

This failure should go away if you add the line

   #define DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO 0

in gcc/config/sparc/netbsd.h

> So, my question is, is this a known problem and if so, is there
> a fix?  I'd really like to be able to compile programs and for
> that I need a working compiler..
>
> Any and all help would be appreciated..

If you send me the offending file (preferably narrowed down to
a small test case) I'll give it a try.

   /Krister