Subject: Re: State of serial ports in 1.3 (Was: Re: enlightenment on zs overruns)
To: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/1998 14:33:32
   (a) Did these changes make it into 1.3?  I'm guessing they did, since the
       date on the 1.3 /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc/locore.s seems to be
       from the day after this mail of Paul's.

yes.  this and a whole bunch of changes from mycroft.  the zs driver is
*really* solid now.

   (c) Since these changes went in, has anyone tried to run a serial port at
       higher than 38400, either under 1.3 or -current?

i have hacked the zs driver in ~1.2C to allow 76800 bps, and it worked OK.
i've noticed that the when the zs is running at 38400 on my ss2, interrupts
are accounting for about 1/3rd of the CPU.  i imagine that double the speed --
double the interrupts.  you have the cpu to do it.  also, the driver deals
better with "busy" systems than it used, so i'd have to say that it work
fairly well.

   In a related vein, I've been using DP 4.0 as my work-side PPP link for ages
   with no trouble.  Is the PPP implementation in NetBSD 1.3 - PPP 2.3 is it? -
   able to do dial-out on demand, like DP 4.0 can?

yes, it can.

.mrg.