Subject: Things kind of work now
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/26/1998 09:55:41
I've managed to get enough SunOS off my M2372K SMD drive to netboot and
run format.  Then I connected the M2361 Eagle only and formatted it.  It
turns out that the first few cylinders are really screwed (head crash?)
but the rest of the drive is totally usable.  I've now installed NetBSD
onto it and my 4/260 is up and compiling GNU Emacs.

I have to say that most things work, but there is still some weirdness.
First of all, anytime the network and SMD drive are being used at the same
time (nfs, and rcp or even a telnet session) there are *hundreds* of ie0
DMA underruns.  I think this happened very rarely before I used SMD.
The 451 controller also sometimes has a watchdog timeout followed by a
soft reset.  It seems to me that this may be correlated with network
activity, but I'm not sure.

Right now I'm trying to compule GNU Emacs amd I'm getting a fatal signal
11 if that timeout happens on a certain file.  It kept happening when I
was doing stuff on an rlogin connection and now it worked.

Anyways, besides the fact that ie0 and xyc0 don't like each other I have a
usable system.  Still, I'd like to deal with this problem.  DOes anybody
have any ideas?

|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
|  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |
|  depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ  |