Subject: Re: Various disturbing error messages
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/12/1998 11:11:37
hi-

   there is no NetBSD format program for SMD.   i used the SunOS
one (never had the time or energy needed to put together one for
NetBSD).  i always used the SunOS 4.x one (booting diskless).

>like bad blocks.  These seem like *real* bad blocks.  SunOS 4.1.3 format
>behaved in weird and twisted ways when I tried to format the drive with
>the other one connected (bad block replacement table overflow happens
>one time, and then another time the check finds no bad blocks).  Maybe
>if I reformatted it now...

worth a try.

>Oh, and the M2361 is actually an M2361A.  According to a drive list for
>DEC systems,
>disk    cap.    sec/trk trk/cyl cyl     notes
>M2361   549M    64      20      842     Fujitsu Super Eagle 19&quot;
>M2361A  549M    68      20      842     Fujitsu Super Eagle 19&quot;
>According to this there *is* a difference and the SunOS format.dat has
>the wrong number of sectors per track.

the one we've got on a SunOS machine is

xy2: <Fujitsu-M2361 Eagle cyl 840 alt 2 hd 20 sec 67>

i suspect SunOS wants 68 sec/trk (1 sect is a spare).   i'm not
really sure though...   i currently don't have access to this
machine so i can't look at the drive.

chuck