Subject: Re: sun4/300 boot
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason L. Wright <jason@thought.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/08/1998 09:52:08

>Having just tried 1.3 on my 330, I also get a similar error.  There is
>some lines with :
>
> esp0: illegal command (0x90) [more stuff that I didn't catch]
>
>just after the SCSI devices are probed but they disappear off the screen
>too fast to catch.  Left on the screen is :
>
> sd2(esp0:2:0): could not get size
> (esp0:2:0): select; 6 left in DMA buffer
> (esp0:2:0): select; 6 left in DMA buffer
> sd2(esp0:2:0): illegal request, data = 00 00 00 00 25 00 00 00 00 00
> sd2a: disk label read error
>
>and then 26 lines of :
>
> (esp0:2:0): select; 6 left in DMA buffer
>
>before :
>
> no file system for sd2 (dev 0x711)
> cannot mount root, error = 79
> root device (default sd2b):

This isn't good, but I'm glad it's not just me having problems.

>It would be nice if it were possible to pause the screen ... I tried
plugging
>in a serial console to capture the output, but it doesn't receive any
output
>after the :
>
> zs0 at obio0 addr 0xf1000000 pri 12, softpri 6
> zstty0 at zs0 channel 0
>
>lines.  Is that because the serial console was only being used for output?

My machine has no frame buffer, and I'm using a NetBSD/i386 machine as the
serial console. If you want to catch the output, it might be best to remove
the framebuffer and use a true serial console.  (There's a way to set the
console device in the prom, but removing the framebuffer is easier than
remembering the command).

>One annoying thing is that I can't press <L1-A> at the 'root device:'
prompt,
>but have to power-cycle the machine.

I have to "break" at this point (~# in 'tip').

--Jason