Subject: Re: trouble booting SS1+
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/1998 19:11:39
On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Curt Sampson wrote:

: Using that would be too much to expect of many of the SCSI disks
: of that era, quite possibly. The reason this came to mind instantly
: is because the Emulex EDSI<->SCSI board used in the Sun 3 shoeboxen
: only understood six-byte commands, and NetBSD/sun3, if I recall
: correctly, actually had to be hacked to make sure it didn't send
: 10-byte commands if the block number fit into a six-byte command.

I have six of those Emulex cards you speak of.  NetBSD had to be hacked?  It
didn't just fall back if a 10-byte command was rejected repeatedly?  (That
should be a per-target configurable anyway, but....)  Hrm.  That card worked
on my Amiga under NetBSD/amiga at the time (1.0A or so).

Incidentally, I _like_ these cards.  Not only do they let me use old, free
hardware, but they also map two ESDI drives to one SCSI unit (using LUNs).

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price