Subject: Re: trouble booting SS1+
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/03/1998 17:23:40
>> It appears something is throwing away everything but the low 21 bits
>> of the [absolute] block number [...]

> Bing!  Can you say, ``six byte SCSI commands''?  I knew you could! :-)

*DING*  Give that person a gold star!

Thank you.  This bug makes a whole lot more sense now, now that you've
pointed out a reason to think it's not capricious bizarrity on the part
of whoever wrote the ROM code.  (I do think, though, that the _least_
they could have done is returned an error, instead of silently throwing
away the 0xffe00000 bits.  Using the 10-byte read operation for blocks
past the 1G mark would be even better, of course, but I suppose that
would be too much to expect.)

I also find myself wondering whether the Sun-3 ROMs got this right, or
whether I was just (un)lucky and happened to get blocks below the 1G
mark for /ufsboot...perhaps someday I'll investigate that.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca