Subject: Re: SunOS emulation
To: Eric W. Bates <ericx@vineyard.net>
From: Jeff Thieleke <thieleke@ix.netcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/22/1997 13:57:26
Eric W. Bates wrote:
> However, Adobe's Acrobat Reader (I'm in the process of installing
> FrameMaker; so I expect the same problem will crop up) and it refuses
> to run the SunOS version because it doesn't recognize the current OS.
>
> # bin/acroread
> The OS named NetBSD version 1.3_BETA is currently not installed.
> Try running on a installed platform and connecting to your display.
> Installed platform(s) include the following:
>   SPARC/SunOS version 4.1.3 or 4.1.4
> [Exit 1 ]
>
> How do I fool it?  It is not reading the ENV var OSTYPE.

Could it be looking at /usr/bin/uname?  I have seen various installation
scripts that use uname, and the easiest way to fool them is to put your
own uname in /emul/xxx/usr/bin.  Hopefully Acrobat is as easy.

But you probably should ktrace(1) acroread and see exactly how it is
deciding that you aren't running SunOS.

Jeff Thieleke