Subject: Re: shutdown actions
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/22/1997 01:08:28
> In the 4BSD universe, you kill 1, and init sends SIGTERM to everything on
> the system. Programs that need to clean up after themselves are expected to
> catch SIGTERM and do whatever they need to do within about 15-30 seconds.
>
> [...]
>
> So, your "shutdown action" should be written in the code, to be run at
> SIGTERM.

And, since Iain mentioned INN ("innd") as the progenitor of this discussion,
I'd point out that "innd" already well knows what to do with a SIGTERM - it
does a perfectly orderly shutdown.

	- Greg
	  (Who wonders why this was brought up on port-sparc since there's
	   nothing specific to the Sun port about it)