Subject: Re: shutdown actions
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/21/1997 17:42:27
An rc.shutdown would certainly not be out of the question.

As an aside, we seem to have various configurations which would be run
at certain times much _like_ SVR4 run-levels but without the silly init
hack and directory structure/script name kludge to handle them.  Of
course, having something similar would probably result in /etc/rc.rc :-).

As a further tangent into a long dead can of worms which, I sense, is about
to rear its ugly hydra-like head again, run-levels or (preferably)
a configurable equivalent should never be/have been done as sequential
integers, but rather as bit flags to be passed to rc so it knows which to
do.

I know that sounds kind of vague, but the idea only just sprouted, so if
there's further avid discussion with more of a positive swing on this kind
of thing, I'll try and elucidate.

WRT rc.shutdown:  Perhaps that's something that could be constructed on
the fly by the run of rc so it would be one less thing to configure.

				--*greywolf;
--
Just because memory, disk and cpu speed are cheap is no excuse for
shoddy programming.