Subject: Re: SunOS/Solaris driver for DBRIe
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/1997 19:41:20
On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:

: The programming manuals for those chips and devices would be a step
: in the right direction, and it strikes me that Sun is one of the
: last places likely to have them...

It doesn't strike me.  About two months after sun3 support was officially
dropped, I attempted to obtain patches for SunOS 4.1.1 and was told, after
weeks of bickering at various tech staff, that the tapes just simply didn't
exist anymore.  They said, in so many words, to look elsewhere for them.
This happened with other products, as well.  To them, "unsupported" means
"we even gave away or burnt the manuals."

[Incidentally, SunOS 4.1.1 for the sun3 and patches galore for it are
available on the Web, and Sun hasn't objected--they do know about it.  Check
out http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~oldkit/sun3_archive.htmld/ for those links.]

=====
===== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com) =====
== "There's a myth that there is a scarcity of justice to go around, so
== that if we extend justice to 'those people,' it will somehow erode the
== quality of justice everyone else receives."  -- Maria Price