Subject: Re: SunOS/Solaris driver for DBRIe
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Lyndon Fletcher <etmlyfl@etm.ericsson.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/1997 15:05:44
At 12:58 AM 12/19/97 -0800, Jason wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Erik E. Fair wrote:
>> The Sun SPARC LX and SPARCstation 10 (and 20?) have a built-in, combination
>> sound and ISDN system. So far as I know, they aren't produced any more, or
>> supported. That being the case, do you think it would be difficult to get
>> the SunOS or Solaris device driver source code released to NetBSD?
>

>Now, if you were looking for programming specs for the devices (and I
>could find them, which isn't likely in this case), as long as the manuals
>didn't have "confidential" stamped all over them, I could give that info
>out freely.  The sound/ISDN subsystem is most likely a product of SMCC (as
>opposed to SME, where I work), so finding manuals in SME would be very
>difficult even if the product were relatively new.

Is the Systems Intergration Department (or Sun equivalent) in SME? A lot of
people (especially those who work in design) forget that SI and testing
departments have access
to large amounts of design data. Working in an organisation where design
and implementation are in seperate companies I've found that even if you
can't get at the designer *somebody* tested it. Jason perhaps you should
ask around to see what goodies
your colleges have on their book shelves.

Failing that there is always reverse engineering (logic analyser anyone????)

Fletch