Subject: Re: Unbelievable: Sun supports FreeBSD-sparc port for Ultra.
To: None <neil@Domino.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/1997 05:07:30
Neil McRae writes:
> Have you got realvideo to work? Or realaudio on a IPX?

I only have one NetBSD/SPARC machine, my SPARCstation 20/71 in my office
at work.  I'm running stock 1.2.1 on it (with a couple of patches), so I
doubt the RealPlayer would work on that (I've gotten the impression that
work on the Solaris binary emulation since 1.2.1 is what's gotten it to
sorta work on Neil's system).

I think it behooves us to work on the Solaris emulation as much as possible.
Throwing some serious software packages at it and seeing where it fails
would be useful towards that end, I would expect.  RealPlayer, MAE 3.0update4,
PhotoShop 3.0, Solaris CDE 1.2, Wabi, etc. etc. all come to mind as examples
of potentially complicated binaries to run to test the ruggedness of the
Solaris emulation.  I certainly intend to visit some if not all of these
above-mentioned programs once 1.3 hits the streets.

	- Greg

P.S. Can we keep the "Solaris sucks" flame wars to a minimum please?  We all
     know it used to suck really badly, but now it doesn't ... heck, Solaris
     2.6 with "/usr/ucb" in the front of your $PATH ain't half bad nowadays.