Subject: crazy interrupt panic at boot on 4/260
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/19/1997 00:22:22
[ I sent this earlier today, but it seems that the message has been
lost.  If the earlier message ever materializes, please ignore the stuff
about the tape drive... I've figured out what I have. ]

Hello,

Not long ago I got a Sun 4/260 and now I need an OS for it.  Since
NetBSD supports it and I already use NetBSD/vax I decided
to go for NetBSD.

While attempting to boot NetBSD 1.3 alpha and beta on my 4/260 (using
TFTP and NFS because I have no local drives), the system panics due to
"crazy interrupts".  I removed all boards except the CPU (501-1491) and
the 8 meg memory board (501-1102).  The same thing still happened.  It
seems to me this happens right after the kernel is done initializing
everything and the netboot messages are supposed to be displayed.

After that I tried OpenBSD.  2.2 crashed even earlier but 2.1 ran fine.
Then I reallized that an earlier NetBSD version might work, so I tried
1.2.1 and that also worked.

Here's what NetBSD had to say about interrupts.  I have more if
anybody needs it:
-----
stray interrupt ipl 0xa pc=0xf00f78a8 npc=0xf002658c psr=10c3<EF,S,PS>
[ 9 more repetitions of the same thing ]
panic: crazy interrupts
syncing disks... stray interrupt ipl 0xa pc=0xf0056fc8 npc=0xf0056fcc
psr=8010c5
<EF,S,PS>
panic: crazy interrupts
Frame pointer is at 0xf0157b60
Call traceback:
[ This is long and I don't know if it is useful in the form I have it
in, so I'm not including it ]
------

BTW.  What does "ie0: TDR found an open #### clocks away" (I forget the
exact message) mean?

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |