Subject: crazy interrupt panic at boot on 4/260
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/18/1997 17:38:23
Hello,

I'm a new user.  Not long ago I got my Sun 4/260 and now I need an OS
for it.  Since NetBSD supports it and I already use NetBSD/vax I decided
to go for NetBSD.

While attempting to boot NetBSD 1.3 alpha and beta on my 4/260 (using
TFTP and NFS because I have no local drives), the system panics due to
"crazy interrupts".  I removed all boards except the CPU (501-1491) and
the 8 meg memory board (501-1102).  The same thing still happened.  It
seems to me this happens right after the kernel is done initializing
everything and the netboot messages are supposed to be displayed.

After that I tried OpenBSD.  2.2 crashed even earlier but 2.1 ran fine.
Then I reallized that an earlier NetBSD version might work, so I tried
1.2.1 and that also worked.

Oh yeah, this isn't strictly NetBSD related, but I hope somebody here
knows:  What is that tape drive I have in the 4/260?  It is a Wangtek
5099EN24 and it is connected to some Emulex controller that is connected
to the internal SCSI bus.  After some soldering I converted my external
SCSI controller to an internal one, and the drive got recognized as a
tape drive and apparently it is a "rogue device".  What type of drive do
I have and what sort of tapes does it want?

Oh, and here's what NetBSD had to say about interrupts.  I have more if
anybody needs it:
-----
stray interrupt ipl 0xa pc=0xf00f78a8 npc=0xf002658c psr=10c3<EF,S,PS>
[ 9 more repetitions of the same thing ]
panic: crazy interrupts
syncing disks... stray interrupt ipl 0xa pc=0xf0056fc8 npc=0xf0056fcc
psr=8010c5
<EF,S,PS>
panic: crazy interrupts
Frame pointer is at 0xf0157b60
Call traceback:
[ This is long and I don't know if it is useful in the form I have it
in, so I'm not including it ]
------

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |