Subject: Re: writing a disklabel
To: Eric W. Bates <ericx@vineyard.net>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/1997 08:02:33
On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Eric W. Bates wrote:

> Hey thanks.
>
> I had some trouble with the Sparc's need for partitions being whole
> multiples of cylinders, but it works now.
>
> I then built a ccd with the thing.  Interesting to note that the
> disktab entry for the ccd creates a label where
>
> ns: 2048
> nt: 1
>
> resulting in the same net effect you suggested with
>
> ns: 64
> nt: 32
>
> Any pros or cons to either approach or is this all just arbitrary
> fiction?

This is rather arbitrary, however, Sun SPARC disklabels are limited to
64K (65535) for each of heads, cylinders, and sectors/track because they
only reserve a short (16-bit) integer to store that information.  If you
use Sun disklabels on SPARC you need to keep that in mind and make sure
none of those fields overflow or you could end up with a disk that is
mostly unaccessible.  (BTW, I don't recall whether the fields are unsigned
or not so you should probably try to stay under 32767.)

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
					- Benton Frasier