Subject: Mounting UFS from solaris and NetBSD
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Yuri Gindin <yuri@xpert.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/1997 12:51:13
Hi all,

I'm new to NetBSD/sparc, but I worked a lot with FreeBSD and Linux/Sparc
It seems to me that it's great OS to run on sparc, because it supports
more emulations than Linux and I can read/write UFS/ext2fs. But here
are some problems I have with NetBSD.

I was just experimenting whith different partitions
on different OSs : Solaris-2.6, Linux 2.0.30/sparc and NetBSD-1.3ALPHA
I noted that I can:
from NetBSD: mount and fsck read/write Solaris-2.6 UFS, Linux ext2fs
from Linux: mount readonly Solaris-2.6 UFS, and NetBSD FFS with a patch
to the kernel to mount NetBSD FFS
from Solaris: nothing, really I was able to mount FFS ro but didn't
see nothing, then I tried to fsck FFS which gave me a message
"File format not recognized INODE=xxx REMOVE? "
And I interrupted it.
What can I do to see NetBSD FFS from solaris ? newfs -O on NetBSD ?

Another question about the emulation.
I tried both SunOS and SVR4 emulations
I can run many non-graphics applications both from SunOS and Solaris,
netscape-4 both SunOS and Solaris ,
some graphical applications from Solaris (dtcalc for example)
and almost nothing graphical from SunOS.

Is it supposed to be like this, means no graphical applications ?

TIA,
--Yuri.