Subject: NetWorker for NetBSD: Alpha testers wanted for the client
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG, port-i386@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Matthew Jacob <mjacob@ns.feral.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/29/1997 13:20:35
I've put together an initial client package for NetWorker under NetBSD 1.3.
I'm looking for folks to do some testing with it.

It's available for sparc, i386 and alpha platforms, and may be found on:

	ftp.feral.com:~ftp/pub/networker/netbsd

All bug reports to me. My plans are to clean this up, probably do a BSDI
and FreeBSD client- maybe do a NetBSD server as well (if I can get Legato
to agree to that) and probably do another wad of Linux clients and/or
servers.

-matt

P.S.: Here's the licence/readme file:

LICENCE_README Sat Nov 29 13:05:47 PST 1997

These are NetWorker client modules for NetBSD, ALPHA 5.1 release.

They require NetBSD 1.3 to run.

Requires a NetWorker server elsewhere on the net to connect
to in order to back up files. Also, I've not ported the GUI,
so all actions are via daemons (e.g., through nsrexecd for
savegroups, nsradmin for admin'ing the server, nsrwatch for
watching the server, save for manual saves and recover for
recovers).

I have tested these modules, *minimally*, against a NetWorker 4.2.7
server running under solaris. They appear to correctly, in this
configuration, run save groups (scheduled saves), ad hoc saves (manual),
and manual recovers. I would expect that any NetWorker server from 4.0
through 5.0 (unix) and 3.5 (NetWare) will work. There is no client
licencing in this package, so if that's an issue for your 5.0 servers,
sorry, I can't help.

Do *NOT* contact Legato about these platforms or these files- instead
mail mjacob@feral.com with questions, bug reports, etc.

Usage is at your own risk. No warranty as to usability or reliability
is made by the provider.

Installation is via the moldy oldy nsr_ize.
That is, take the gzip'd tar file, and:

	mkdir /var/tmp/nsr_extract
	cd /var/tmp/nsr_extract
	tar --ungzip -xpvf <gzipped tar file)
	./nsr_ize -i

There are three client platforms available:

	networker_netbsd.axp.client.5.1ALPHA.tgz	- alpha
	networker_netbsd.i386.client.5.1ALPHA.tgz	- x86
	networker_netbsd.sparc.client.5.1ALPHA.tgz	- sparc