Subject: Re: recent cd-rom trouble
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/07/1997 23:03:24
> But when I logged in and fired up my X session, the CD player provoked
> trouble from the CD-ROM drive (<*> indicates a point at which a
> I no longer have online the corresponding source tree, but it was built
> on Oct 15th, which probably means an earlyish-October source tree, and
> it was definitely after the name change to 1.2G.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?  Could this be related to the esp changes I was
> so happy about wrt my farm of 80 meg Quantums? :-)

There was one change in ncr53c9x.c in the last couple of weeks dealing
with "non-ATN-selection-aware" scsi devices. The diff follows below.
You might try reverting it, though I don't think it's related to
what is happening to your CD device.

I've seen one CD player on a Sparcstation4 (a relatively modern one)
give sometimes on synchronous transfers. So far, the driver just
reverts to non-synchronous operation and carries after resetting the
SCSI bus.

-pk

1683,1687c1683,1693
<                                       printf("%s: select timeout/no "
<                                           "disconnect\n",
<                                           sc->sc_dev.dv_xname);
<                                       ecb->xs->error = XS_SELTIMEOUT;
<                                       goto finish;
---