Subject: Re: Linux emulation for SPARC?
To: None <jimw@numenor.turner.com>
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/04/1997 14:47:54
> Simple.  By having a central dispatch point for emulation type, NetBSD
> can not only easily support multiple emulations per platform, but can
> provide emulations easily after the fact, even in an LKM.  All while
> keeping the NetBSD execution environment identical between ports.

This can be done as well with Linux.  Your point?

> So yes, you did say your implementation technique was ugly.  And
> confusing to newcomers.

Ok, you are right.  Let me correct myself: I intended to mean
newcomers that are planning to write an emulation layer for their
favorite OS.

> It also hampers development of driver or kernel code which can be
> dropped into both ports.

This has never stopped Linux from sharing kernel code or device
drivers between ports.

If Linux does not share more code between its drivers, it may be due
to other reasons.  The way Linux was adapted to a particular port has
*NEVER* been a reason to stop sharing code.

> NetBSD, by contrast can trivially share kernel code, even device
> code between ports.  Why through this ability away for no real gain
> (save perhaps a week or two of development time).

So does Linux, your point?

Miguel.