Subject: Re: Linux emulation for SPARC?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@luthien.nuclecu.unam.mx>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/03/1997 19:04:30
> Unfortunately, this is somewhat of a pain, since, in their infinite wisdom,
> the Linux people decided that having different system call numbers, different
> errno values, different termios structures, etc. was the right way to make
> their operating system portable.

I am so glad to find that people liked our approach at doing this.

Linux ports usually adapts themselves to the most common OS on the
target platform.  This way, we get emulation of the native binaries
for free in almost no time.

Just a couple of files here and there define what changes from machine
to machine, it is a pretty easy task to do.

Sorry if this makes your life more complicated, but understand that
our goal was not to make the job of emulating Linux on the SPARC an
easy task; our goal was to have a userland up and running quickly.

best wishes,
Miguel.
--
miguel@kernel.org