Subject: Re: Linux emulation for SPARC?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/1997 19:06:35
On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Jason Thorpe wrote:

: [ Yah, this wasn't christos... but I don't have the original sender's mail... ]

Was me.  Your friendly neighborhood "gee, wouldn't this be nice" kid....  ;)

: Remember, syscall numbers aren't the only things you'll need to worry about.
: Virtually every constant and structure in our Linux emulation code is going
: to have to be checked, and possibly duplicated/tweaked, because almost
: all of that stuff is machine-dependent in Linux.  (Gotta love those guys!)

Righto.  That's my next task, and I actually plan on doing syscalls (numbers
and arguments), errno numbers, structures, and ioctls/fcntls for all six
architectures that both Linux and NetBSD support.  Then, only the actual
processor dependent stuff (locore syscall catching, signal delivery, context
save and restore) will be left to write for each architecture.  (Strange as
it may seem, I think the alpha port may be better off tacking the Linux
syscalls onto the COMPAT_OSF1 goop, because Linux uses the same base
syscalls, and I'm told they both use the same executable format--elf64.)

I keep a snapshot of my work in progress at
ftp://ftp.duh.org/pub/NetBSD-hacks/linux_compat/ which contains a gzipped
tarball of src/sys/compat/linux and any src/sys/arch/* files necessary to
support it.  I'm periodically compiling it on my i386 machine to ensure I
don't lose anything in the conversion.

=====
== Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
== I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.