Subject: Re: Linux emulation for SPARC?
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Bob Myers <rjmyers@rtis.ray.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/31/1997 10:36:30
Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>
> : Filling in the sparc specific part should not be hard. One problem is,
> : that different ports of Linux have different system call numbers...
> : I'm not sure if Linux/sparc does this as well, I am sure that
> : Linux/alpha does it. That means you will need to overhaul the current
> : scheme of using syscalls.master, etc, to generate the MI Linux syscall
> : numbers/arguments.
>
> Ew.  Well, if they use different syscall numbers, there may need to be a #if
> ARCH conditional wrapper in syscalls.master, and perhaps in code to fix
> arguments... (overhauling the way syscalls.master does its thing doesn't
> sound appealing).
>
> =====
> == Todd Vierling (Personal tv@pobox.com; Business tv@lucent.com)
> == I know you like the Internet, Bobby.  Now go eat your Frosted Flakes.

  Hi;

I'm a "lurker" here and saw this message traffic about Linux on Sparc
platforms.  Just wanted to be sure that you all knew that a port is already
"in progress", just like netBSD and the others.

I think that most people into it right now are getting versions off of
RedHat's ftp server.  Check their web site (http://www.redhat.com) for
more info.

Also try doing a web search for S/Linux or sparclinux.

Regards,
bob