Subject: Re: Sun's cdrom
To: Eric W. Bates <ericx@vineyard.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/30/1997 09:37:07
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:57:49 -0500
 "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net> wrote:

 > Can I use Sun's old single-speed CD drive with NetBSD?

I'm using one of those drives on an SS2.  Works fine.

 > I'm told that Sun played some games a while back in order to force
 > Solaris users to use only their drives.  Under NetBSD standard CD
 > drives work fine, but I would just as soon not have to junk the old
 > one.

I do recall that Sun made their drives also work with a 512-byte
blocksize.. this was so the PROM could boot from them.  I hadn't heard
about tricks they were playing with Solaris...

NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935