Subject: Re: console weirdness
To: None <bsalai@tmonline.com, mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jason Brazile <jason@sunra.csci.unt.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/29/1997 12:49:46
> > When quiting vi, the console doesn't clean up nicely, bogus
> > characters scroll backwards up the screen, about two screens worth
> > and persist after the prompt re-appears.
>
> What sort of framebuffer?  Do you have RASTERCONSOLE turned on in the
> kernel?  (What I really want to know is, is RASTERCONSOLE getting used?
> Could you send dmesg output?  I've seen glitches under SunOS that make
> me suspect some bugs in the ROM console code for some framebuffers....)

Perhaps this is applicable...

>From the nvi FAQ:

Q: When I use vi on a Sun console (terminal type sun-34) the screen
   is occasionally trashed, usually when exiting vi!
A: The Sun console can't handle the 'al' capability of the termcap
   entry (the il1 capability of terminfo entries).  If you delete that
   entry from your terminfo/termcap information everything should work
   correctly.

Jason