Subject: Re: cgsix?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Not for internal consumption <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/1997 22:18:38
Hiya, Jason, Nathan,

Jason Thorpe sez:
/*
 * On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:11:12 -0800
 *  Nathan Gelbard <gelbard@ENGR.ORST.EDU> wrote:
 *
 *  > Is there a way to verify that my framebuffer is a
 *  > 'REAL' cgsix? It has no identifying markings, but
 *  > the kernel reads it as one. Were there clones made?
 *  > Good back luck with them?
 *
 * Sbus cgsix cards tell the kernel that they're cgsix cards.  This is
 * part of how the OpenProm works.

Yep -- ${OPENPROMROOT}/sbus[@0,f8000000]/cgsix[@3,0]

 *
 * As far as I know, they were all made by SMCC.

I think someone like EOS or Cycle5 had some clones floating around...

 *
 * Wasn't there a cgsix that had some beefier acceleration hardware on it?
 * Was this the GX?  It's been a while, and I can't remember :-)

A cg6 is a GX; you might be thinking of the GX+ which has 4MB memory,
double-buffering and 1280x1024 possible resolution.

These seem to be a bit more difficult to come by...

 *
 * Jason R. Thorpe                                       thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
 * NASA Ames Research Center                            Home: +1 408 866 1912
 * NAS: M/S 258-6                                       Work: +1 650 604 0935
 * Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 415 428 6939
 */

				--*greywolf;
--
System V any flavor: just say NO!