Subject: SS1+ vs multiple disks
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/28/1997 18:14:05
I (relatively recently) bought myself a 1+.  I've got a pile of little
80M Quantums, seven of which I have set up on a single scsi chain, with
an eye to stuff like playing with software raid.  But since I have no
other disk handy, I popped them onto the 1+ (after using my zip drive
to get a bootable system onto one of them).  Then I copied over a
source tree and started building the world.

I ran into a little trouble because my binaries were too old, but
that's minor and entirely fixable...and irrelevant to my point.

My point is, I have four of these little 80M disks set up as a ccd,
mounted on /usr/src.  When I built the kernel (which I did on the SLC
at work, which has only one drive), I noticed that the flags value on
the esp was set to 0000 instead of the ff0f it used to be...and I
wondered, but left it that way.

Now, on the 1+, I started seeing

	esp0: ESP100 work-around activated

I went and looked up what this meant in the source, and my reaction is
"coolness! no more headaches with disconnect/reconnect!".  A big kudos
is due to whoever was responsible for this particular little delight.
(I no longer remember amid all the source-changes mail, and it doesn't
seem worth beating on poor little homeworld even more for something as
relatively minor as this - you know who you are.)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca