Subject: Re: zstty fifo overrun
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/27/1997 09:00:05
At 4:14 PM +1000 10/25/97, matthew green wrote:
>this is a well document problem on netbsd sparc.  check the archives
>for the past year and you'll see several posts (some from myself)
>about this.  as far as i could determine, there were 2 points where
>it became worse.  sometime between october 2 and october 19, 1996,
>and then again around december 30, 1996.  i looked and looked and
>looked at changes but i wasn't able to find anything.  charles
>hannum fixed some splhigh()'s to be some lower value about 6 months
>ago, and the problem became less severe, but it still exists.  i'm
>currently able to run my SS2 serial port (ttya) at 38400 bps but
>i have a dedicated machine -- it does little else except act as a
>router for me.
>

>i haven't yet tried out the new zs code gordon contributed.

I messed with this over the weekend, and the highest speed I can set
without overruns is 9600.  at 19200 I get overruns immediately.  At 38400
they are almost constant, and interfer with connections to the extent that
many time out.

Unfortunately, I can't set any other speeds to narrow this down, but maybe
this is enough information.

I think the present problem must be worse than what you have seen in the
past. I wonder if I have broken something new?

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614