Subject: Re: zstty fifo overrun
To: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@starwolf.starwolf.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/24/1997 07:43:49
On Thu, Oct 23, 1997 at 05:34:24PM -0700, Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? wrote:
> for the record, I've also had zs0b: fifo overruns ever since 1.2 went to
> 1.2{.1,[ABCD]}.  At least at 38.4; 19.2 works fine.

I have the same problem on all NetBSD architectures I have used (Sparc, i386.
Amiga).  Haven't tried anything after NetBSD 1.2, but from what I've heard,
the problem is still there (on Sparc, at least).

I believe the kernel disables interrupts for extended periods of time.
I think this should be carefully examined sometime because there are
still lots of applications where reliable serial ports are required,
The interrupt latency problem (if there is one) may also affect other
drivers (Ethernet, SCSI, etc.) which need fast response.

  -jm

--

                       1503 kHz @ 21:30 EET DST Mon-Fri

                     ---> http://www.jmp.fi/~jmarin/ <---