Subject: Re: zstty fifo overrun
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/1997 17:13:55
At 4:54 PM -0400 10/23/97, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:42:45 -0400
>> From: Steven Grunza <steveng@formail.formation.com>
>
>> Same here, except they were zs0b:  fifo overrun.  I had a 14.4 modem on
>> ttyb with RTS/CTS flow control.  The SPARC is a SPARCstation 1.
>
>Oh...  I was confused.  When there is a problem with H/W flow control,
>(i.e. crtscts not turned on, or wrong cable wiring) then the message
>one will see is "ring overrun", not "fifo overrun" as I had thought.
>(Maybe "fifo overrun" should be "chip overrun" instead.)
>
>The cause of "fifo overrun" message is excessive latency in servicing
>interrupts from the ZS chip.  The cause of that could be anywhere,
>i.e. interrupts disabled too long somewhere, or who knows what.
>What else was going on in the system at the time?
>
>Lower baud rates will probably eliminate the "fifo overrun" problem.
>Have you tried that?  What is the highest rate that makes the fifo
>overrun errors become infrequent?
>
>Gordon

I'll have to play around with the rates tonight, and let you know. I get
the overruns even running essentially nothing, just the console, not even
X. I'll admit I run X most of the time, but see the problem even when I
don't.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614