Subject: Re: zstty fifo overrun (H/W flow)
To: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/1997 15:45:00
At 11:04 AM -0400 10/23/97, Gordon W. Ross wrote:
>[forgot something last time]
>> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
>> From: Brad Salai <bsalai@tmonline.com>
>>
>> Since upgrading to current from 1.2.1, I am getting a _LOT_ of
>>
>> zstty0 fifo overrun's   I mean all the time.
>>
>> I've been playing with a bunch of different stuff, and may have messed
>> something up, but I can't tell what.
>>
>> Is there a preferred speed to set in ppp/options?
>>
>> Is there something else I should look at?
>>
>> Brad
>
>Make sure you have some kind of flow control enbled, preferably
>"crtscts".  Also make sure the modem is doing H/W flow control,
>and that your serial cable connects RTS an CTS to the correct
>pin on the opposite end of the cable (NOT the same end).
>
>With that configuration, I have been unable to reproduce any
>"fifo overrun" problems.
>
>Gordon
I checked my /etc/ttys and I had an error ctsrts instead of rtscts that man
ttys says to use. I did have crtscts in /etc/ppp/options, but maybe you
need both to be correct.

I made the cable myself from the documentation in the Sun user books. I
think it is correct, but I'm not sure how to be sure except to use it.

Thanks for the help. I'll reboot tonight and see if it is any better.

BTW what speed do you set in ppp/options? I've been using 38400.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                             Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                            email bsalai@tmonline.com
Rochester, NY 14614