Subject: Is anyone seeing alignment faults on -current?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/15/1997 02:22:23
There have been reports of my NFS changes causing alignment faults on
the Alpha and Sparc, probably because an off_t was fetched from
an address aligned to 4 bytes, not 8.

I checked in what I thought was a fix (making the changes I made in
dirent handling was off_t aligned), but I did get one report still
about alignment faults. However, the bug could not be reproduced
again.

If anyone who is running a -current kernel of October 13th or later,
having sys/nfs/nfs_vnops.c version:

	$NetBSD: nfs_vnops.c,v 1.83 1997/10/13 08:35:53 fvdl Exp $

could you please tell me if you are seeing NFS problems, specifically
during the completion of the mount operation (i.e. it crashes when
mount_nfs is run)? Heavy directory operations should also trigger it
if the problem is there. If you see the problem, I'd be very grateful if
you could perhaps send me a trace from either gdb or ddb.

Thanks,

- Frank