Subject: Re: NetBSD ufs incompatibilities with Solaris v2.6?
To: None <Allen.Wittenauer@Ebay.Sun.COM>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/14/1997 21:04:15
Allen Wittenauer said:

>I'm currently running Solaris v2.6 and NetBSD/sparc 1.2G (late september) on
>an SS10.  If I write to a UFS-formatted-via-Solaris partition under NetBSD,
>all is well until I mount it under Solaris again--my ACLs are completely wiped
>out, and Solaris complains that it can't use the first block to auto-fsck the
>partition (doing a manual fsck with block 32 does work, but my ACL's are still
>outta whack).
>
>fsck was *NOT* run under NetBSD, so no conversion to ffs occurred--or at
>least, I know I didn't tell it to (and the fsck flag is turned off in fstab).
>
>Am I missing something here or have I found an incompatibility?

Yes, Sun carefully crafted the UFS filesystem in Solaris 2.x to be not
quite completely compatible with any other UFS/FFS filesystem. I've seen
similar problems with SunOS 4.1.x writing to a Solaris partition. And also
problems with other USL based UNIX platforms writing to Solaris UFS.

And Solaris doesn't support the old SVR3 filesystem, which most of the
other USL derived systems use as the default for flopppies.

And Solaris < 2.5 doesn't support ACLs...
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com	    rmk@tencats.rmkhome.com
                http://tencats.rmkhome.com