Subject: sun4m disk label hosed
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/09/1997 02:33:50
About a week or two ago, I ran out of space in /usr/src on my sparc
build system. Tonight, I tried to correct it, by shifting some space
from a neighboring partition using "disklabel -e sd0". I got this for
my trouble:

	disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: Label magic number or checksum is wrong!
	(disklabel or kernel is out of date?)
	re-edit the label? [y]:

The system no longer boots from this disk, despite completely
unscathed root and so on. It complains:

	Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@4,8400000/esp@4,8800000/sd@0,0   File and args: -s
	Bad magic number in disk label
	Can't open disk label package
	Can't open boot device
	Type  help  for more information
	ok

PR#3267 alludes to the problem I am having without telling me what's
wrong.

1. How can I make this disklabel on this disk happy again? (preferably
without destroying the data now on the disk)

2. What "gotchas" are there in Sun3 and SPARC where disklabel is
concerned?

	thanks,

	Erik E. Fair	fair@clock.org